MetaMask is the most popular wallet that allows users to interact with the Ethereum and EVM-based blockchains. As a browser extension for Brave, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, MetaMask is widely used for storing digital assets, interacting with decentralized applications (dApps), and trading tokens.
But users may often run into issues with the wallet becoming slow or unresponsive, which can be frustrating, especially if trading opportunities are missed.
Various factors can cause wallet speed issues, such as:
- Insufficient computing power
- Outdated software
- Conflicts with other browser extensions (especially privacy-focused browser add-ons)
- Using a public RPC endpoint when there’s network congestion
The following sections offer basic and advanced troubleshooting techniques that can be used to optimize MetaMask’s performance.
Basic Troubleshooting Techniques
If MetaMask is slow or unresponsive, users can try the following basic troubleshooting steps:
Refresh the Page
Refreshing the page can clear any temporary glitches or errors that may be affecting MetaMask. Users can try clicking the refresh button or pressing F5 (or command + R on Mac) on their keyboard.
Restart the Browser
Closing and reopening the browser can help clear any cache or memory issues that may be affecting MetaMask. Users can try exiting the browser and reopening it.
Disable, then Re-enable, the Extension
Another quick fix that may work is to disable and then re-enable the extension.
Also, removing all other browser extensions that are not currently in use may also help with any performance issues. These add-ons can be re-enabled later after interacting with a dApp.
Change Network and Switch Back
Switch the current network from Optimism to Mainnet, then switch back to Optimism to reset the wallet’s connection to the network in use (as well as its state).
Advanced Troubleshooting Techniques
If the basic troubleshooting steps above do not resolve wallet speed issues, users can try the following advanced techniques:
Reinstalling MetaMask can help ensure that the wallet is using the latest version and is free from any corrupted or outdated files. Users can try uninstalling MetaMask from their browser, downloading the latest version from the official website, and reinstalling it.
When a network is congested and experiences high transaction volume, the use of the default RPC may degrade the wallet’s performance. In this case, switching to another RPC can be a good remedy.
- Head over to https://chainlist.org/chain/10.
- Connect a wallet.
- Select the RPC with the lowest latency and click on ‘Connect wallet’.
- The network with the selected RPC will be added to the wallet.
Web Browser Speed Improvements
To improve a browser’s speed, plugins such as ‘Speed Tweaks’ can be installed.
There are also several changes that can be made to Chrome’s settings, which can help speed up the browser:
- Go to ‘Settings’ in the browser, select ‘Privacy and security’ then go to ‘Cookies’. Tick ‘Allow all cookies’, then enable the ‘Preload pages for faster browsing and searching’ option. It’s important to note that while this option can offer a faster experience, it comes at the cost of reduced privacy.
- Go to ‘Settings’ in the browser, select ‘Performance’ and enable memory saver: This gives active tabs and other apps more computer resources and keeps Chrome fast. Your inactive tabs automatically become active again when you go back to them.
- Go to ‘Settings’ in the browser, select ‘Performance’ and then Disable Energy saver.
Allow MetaMask to Access Specific Sites
MetaMask reads all data on every website visited by default. By only allowing MetaMask access to data on particular sites, this should make the wallet more responsive.
The first step is to go to the browser’s Extensions page, find the MetaMask extension and click on ‘Details’:
Scroll to the ‘Site access’ section, click on the dropdown menu and change the option from ‘On all sites’ to ‘On specific sites’:
A prompt will appear to enter a URL. Type ‘https://app.perp.com’ (and other websites for dApps that are frequently used) into the box and then click ‘Add’.
New pages can always be added using the 'Add a new page' option:
Clear Activity and Nonce Data
Go to the settings menu in MetaMask’s wallet, select ‘Advanced’, then click on the ‘Clear activity tab data’ button:
After doing this, the account’s nonce is reset and all data from the activity tab is erased, which should result in a smoother experience and make the wallet more responsive. Only the current account and network will be affected.
Any balances and incoming transactions are unaffected by clearing activity and nonce data.